One of the newly declared Seven Wonders of Nature, the 275 falls cover 1.67 miles (2.7km) crashing from a height of 269 feet (82 m) and with the second greatest average annual flow of any waterfall in the world into the River Iguazu.

Their beginning, at Devils Throat, often considered the most impressive, is wider than Victoria Falls. Mist rises between 100 feet (30 m) and 490 feet (150 m) from Devil's Throat and at one point it's possible to stand surrounded by 260 degrees of waterfalls.

They are so spectacular that the USA's First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt is said to have exclaimed 'Poor Niagara' on seeing them for the first time.

Where are they?

On the border of Brazil and Argentina and not far from Paraguay, the Brazilian territory has about 20% of the jumps of the falls with the other 80% falling in Argentina. You can reach them from the large city Foz do Iguacu in Brazil, the small Argentine town of Puerto Iguazu or the edgier Ciudad del Este in Paraguay.

What are they?

The third largest waterfall in the world by volume of water moved, the Iguazu Falls appear from the air like a reversed letter J.

Best time to visit?

Visit the falls between August and November; September or October for the most clement weather.

Must see?

Ideally see them from both sides. Brazil gives the big picture and Argentina provides an up close and personal experience. While Brazil has fewer attractions, it provides kayak, hiking and rafting trips to the falls that Argentina does not.

read more
Speak to an expert

Need more advice before deciding which tour might suit you best and with whom to travel? 
Our Phonethrough feature allows you to talk directly to an expert holiday advisor from each of the leading specialist operators who organise tours to the destinations featured. 

  • Benefit from their in-depth knowledge and free advice, with no strings attached to give you the re-assurance that you are booking the right holiday for you.
  • Call the Freephone numbers or the 03 Phonethrough number. Calls to 03 numbers cost the same as to other standard fixed line numbers (starting 01 or 02) and calls made will come out of any inclusive minutes you have with your Service Provider. Ofcom rules dictate that 03 calls do not generate any money for the call recipient
  • Prefer to send an email in the first instance? Click on the email icon and submit your general enquiry or for a specific tour with a request to respond by email or to phone you back.
  • This will help you decide if they have the tour that best matches your requirements.

Our aim is to introduce and match holiday planning consumers with specialist escorted tour holiday operators & organisers. Please note that any booking you make is made directly with the tour operator, travel organiser or provider as Somewhere does not act in any agent or booking capacity.

Call 0343 886 1262
or Email

Displayed are tours which include
Iguazu Falls, Argentina